Records center boxes come in bundles stored flat. The following steps
provide instructions for preparing records center boxes and for packing
records in them.
- Open the flattened box so that it forms a cube, flaps out.
- Place the box upside down (weight limit and size is stamped on bottom).
- Tuck short flaps in.
- Fold long flaps over, completely covering the short flaps. The surface of the box should be smooth.
- Hold flaps in place and tape or staple them.
- Run tape over the gap created by the two long flaps, extending the tape
over each end, approximately 1 2 inches up the side of the box on each
- If staples are used, make sure (a) that the staples perforate both short
and long flaps and (b) that the staples do not protrude from the
surface of the box.
- Turn the box right side up to begin packing records.
- Pack records in the same order that they were filed in file drawers
- Pack letter-size files facing the short side of the box.
- Pack legal-size files facing the long end of the box.
- Pack the box reasonably full. You should be able to slide your hand easily in to the box to retrieve a record.
- Close the top flaps when box is full.
- Interlock the top flaps, if the boxes will be delivered by the agency.
- Tape the top flaps, lengthwise, if the boxes will be mailed or delivered by common carrier.
- Place transfer form inside front of first box, or give to carrier to deliver with shipment.