Corporations Elections Licensing Securities Charities

Frequently Asked Questions

The Used Motor Vehicle Dealer Division will investigate:

- complaints against independent used motor vehicle dealers in Georgia.  

- complaints regarding unlicensed practice provided adequate information is submitted with the complaint.

They will not investigate or do not have jurisdiction over:

- franchises - complaints against franchise dealers (Toyota, Kia, Honda, Ford, etc.).  Franchise dealers are not required to be licensed; therefore, the Board has no jurisdiction over these companies.

-  finance companies - complaints against finance companies that hold liens on vehicles. The Board does not license finance companies and so no jurisdiction over this profession.

-  money - requests to recover funds for you. That is a civil matter for which you should seek legal advice. 

 -  titles - requests to acquire or issue a car title. Titles are issued through the Department of Revenue. The consumer may request the surety bond for the licensee from the Board.

- legal advice - the Board cannot provide legal advice to you. You should contact an attorney or other legal counsel for advice.

Verbal complaints are not accepted. 

Complaints must be submitted in writing. 

You may submit a complaint through the online form at, by fax to 866-888-8026, or by mail to the Georgia State Board of Registration of Used Motor Vehicle Dealers, 237 Coliseum Drive, Macon, GA 31217.  

Include all documents in your possession that pertain to your complaint, such as a bill of sale, a sales contract, a copy of a title, a warranty/buyer's guide issued by the dealer, or any other written communication that supports your complaint.  

If submitting a complaint reporting unlicensed practice, include the dealer's name and address.  If known, also include the name of the person you dealt with at the dealership, the date of purchase, and the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of the vehicle in question.  

Complaints are confidential and will not be discussed by telephone. Status updates must be requested in writing.

Verify a dealer's license status by selecting the link Search for a Licensee on our website.  Every licensed used motor vehicle dealer in Georgia is listed on this site. Complete the fields and follow the steps to search for the dealer in which you are interested. The search results will indicate the license number, the status of the dealer, the date the license was issued, the date the license expires, and if any public board orders exist.  If you are unsure of the exact name of the dealer, use the  *  symbol within the name for a broader search.

You will need to complete the Request for Name Change and/or Address Change form.

Change of location requires photographs of the new location, including the sign, and a new certificate of liability insurance, which lists the new location address.  

Change of name requires a new bond or bond rider, issued in the new name, a new certificate of liability insurance, listing the new name, and photographs of the business that reflect the name change on signage.  

Caution:  A change of business structure, such changing from a sole proprietorship to a corporation, limited liability company, or partnership, is not a name change.  Rather, this type of change is the formation of a new and separate business entity.  A name change request cannot be granted for such a change.  When the business entity has changed, even if a corporation is dissolved and a new corporation is created, a new and complete Application for Used Motor Vehicle Dealer License must be submitted, including fees and all required documents.

You will need to submit a  Change of Designee ApplicationThe complete application, including fees and required accompanying documents, must be submitted.  Changing the designee will not require a new UCAR license.  The application can also be found under the Application/Form Downloads tab.

You must submit a complete a Used Motor Vehicle Dealers License Application, along with the appropriate fee and documentation.  

Before submitting the application, you must attend a Board-approved pre-licensing seminar, obtain an established place of business, and have a working LANDLINE telephone installed and listed in the business name. There must be an appropriate permanent sign at your established place of business advertising your business as a used car dealership. 

You may wish to review the rules regarding applying for a license Licensing - Rule 681-3  and requirements for an established place of business: Established Place of Business - Rule 681-6.

Maybe - it depends on your local zoning ordinances.  

If you plan to operate from your residence, you must meet the requirements of an “established place of business,” as defined in the Used Motor Vehicle Dealers' and Used Motor Vehicle Parts Dealers' Registration Act and Board Rule 681-6-.01, which can be viewed at this link: Established Place of Business

You cannot set up the dealership inside your home; it must be set up in a detached building. 

Contact your city or county Planning & Zoning Office to determine if current regulations will allow you to operate the business from your residence. You should also ask if current regulations will allow you to erect a permanent sign at your residence to advertise your business as a used car dealership, as required by Board Rules.  

Licensed dealers must have an established place of business that meets the criteria set forth in the Rules and Laws.  This established place of business can be an open lot or it can be an office from which used motor vehicle transactions are conducted. The licensing requirements are the same for both dealer models, with the exception of rules for display of used cars. Refer to the Established Place of Business - 681-6 (e)  for more information.

Contact the Board-approved seminar providers listed on our website under Quick Links - Board-approved education providers .

See Georgia Rule 681-6-.01 - Established Place of Business - Established Place of Business  


214 State Capitol
Atlanta, Georgia 30334
© 2012 Georgia Secretary of State