Corporations Elections Licensing Securities Charities

Frequently Asked Questions

You must submit a complete Application for Used Motor Vehicle Parts Dealer License.  Refer to the Application for Used Motor Vehicle Parts Dealer License for more detailed information on the required documents that must be sent with the application.  Prior to preparing the application, you must obtain an established place of business and a working telephone number listed in the business name.  At the established place of business, you must erect an appropriate permanent sign, advertising your business as a used parts dealership.  You may obtain an application by clicking the button on our website labeled Application/Form Downloads.

A Used Parts Dealer license is issued by the Georgia State Board of Registration of Used Motor Vehicle Dealers & Used Motor Vehicle Parts Dealers, Used Motor Vehicle Parts Dealers Division, to any person, partnership, limited liability company, firm, or corporation engaged in the business of buying, selling, or using motor vehicle parts.  Licensees may be in the business as a used motor vehicle parts dealer, a motor vehicle dismantler, a motor vehicle rebuilder, a salvage pool dealer, or a salvage dealer.  The Board issues a license as a Used Motor Vehicle Parts Dealer that covers the activities of all of these types of businesses.  

Click this link to review the requirements for an Established Place of Business.

Maybe - it depends on your local zoning.

If you plan to operate from your residence, you must meet the requirements of an “established place of business”, as defined in the Used Motor Vehicle Dealers' and Used Motor Vehicle Parts Dealers' Registration Act and Board Rule 681-6-.01, which is available for review on our website. 

Contact contact your city or county Planning & Zoning Office to determine if current regulations will allow you to operate the business from your residence.  Ask if current regulations will allow you to erect a permanent sign at your residence to advertise your business.  The Board rule requires a permanent sign to be displayed at the location of the dealer's office, and the rule further requires that the dealership office must be in a detached building on the residential property that is fully furnished according to the requirements of an established place of business.  The dealership cannot be set up inside the residence.

The designee is the person named by a corporation, a limited liability company, or a partnership to be the responsible license holder for the business.  The business can have only one license holder; therefore, the license is issued to the business with the designee as the license holder.  The designee assumes full responsibility for the operations of the licensed dealership on behalf of the partnership, corporation, or limited liability company. A sole proprietorship does not name a designee, because the sole owner is the license holder for the business and is considered by the Used Motor Vehicle Parts Dealer Board to be the responsible person for the operations of the licensed dealership.  The designee can be an officer, if the dealership is owned by a corporation, a partner, if the business is owned by a partnership, or an employee of the business.  The designee makes application for the used motor vehicle dealer license on behalf of the corporation or partnership.   The fingerprinting requirement is for the designee.

You will need to complete the Request for Change of Location &/or Change of Name The form may be obtained by clicking the button on our website labeled Application/Form Downloads.

Change of location requires photographs of the new location, including the sign, and a new certificate of liability insurance, which lists the new location address.  

Change of name requires a new bond or bond rider, issued in the new name, a new certificate of liability insurance, listing the new name, and photographs of the business that reflect the name change on signage.  

Caution:  A change of business structure, such changing from a sole proprietorship to a corporation, limited liability company, or partnership, is not a name change.  Rather, this type of change is the formation of a new and separate business entity.  A name change request cannot be granted for such a change.  When the business entity has changed, even if a corporation is dissolved and a new corporation is created, a new and complete Application for Used Motor Vehicle Parts Dealer License must be submitted, including fees and all required documents.

You will need to submit an Application for Change of Designee.  The complete application, including fees and required accompanying documents, must be submitted.  Changing the designee will not require a new license.  You may obtain the application from our website by clicking the button labeled Application/Form Downloads.

The Used Motor Vehicle Parts Dealer Division investigates complaints against used motor vehicle parts dealers, used motor vehicle dismantlers, motor vehicle rebuilders, salvage pool dealers, and salvage dealers .  The Board does not investigate complaints against finance companies that hold liens on vehicles.  The Board’s ability to discipline a dealer for violations of law or Board rules is limited to sanctions against the license; therefore, while you are filing a complaint with the Board, you may wish to also consider conferring with a personal attorney or the local magistrate court to determine your legal rights in a civil matter to recover possible damages.

You may file a written complaint to the Georgia State Board of Registration of Used Motor Vehicle Parts Dealers, 237 Coliseum Drive, Macon, GA  31217.  You should include all documents in your possession that pertain to your complaint, such as a bill of sale, a sales contract, a copy of a title, a warranty issued by the dealer, or any other written communication that helps to support your complaint.  For complaints that do not require inclusion of documentation, such as a report of unlicensed practice, you may file a complaint online from our website.  Please include the dealer name, license number if known, and location address of the dealership in your complaint.  Other helpful information includes the name of the person you dealt with at the dealership, the date of purchase, and the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of the vehicle in question.  


214 State Capitol
Atlanta, Georgia 30334
© 2012 Georgia Secretary of State